- How to Join, Renew, or Rejoin the American Legion
- Paid-Up-For-Life Memberships
- How to Transfer your Membership
How to Join, Renew, or Rejoin the American Legion
First, determine if you are eligible to join the American Legion.
There are three ways that you can establish eligibility:
You were honorably discharged after serving at least one day of active military duty in either the U.S. Army, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Marines, or the U.S. Coast Guard during one of the following time periods:
- April 6, 1917 – Nov. 11, 1918
- Dec. 7, 1941 - Dec. 31, 1946
- June 25, 1950 - Jan. 31, 1955
- Feb. 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975
- Aug. 24, 1982 - July 31, 1984
- Dec. 20, 1989 - Jan. 31, 1990
Aug. 2, 1990 - Present*
*Cessation of hostilities will be determined by the U.S. Government, at which time a date will be added.
You were honorably discharged after serving at least one day of active duty in the Merchant Marines during the period of Dec. 7, 1941 - Aug. 15, 1945.
You are currently serving honorably in either the U.S. Army, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Marines, or the U.S. Coast Guard.
If you are eligible please send us:
- A completed Membership Application*
- A copy of your DD 214 or your active duty ID card
- Your dues payment of $35.00; make check payable to American Legion Post 39
*if you would prefer, feel free to contact our Post Adjutant for a pre-printed Membership Application
If you are interested in a Paid-Up-For-Life (PUFL) Membership, please contact our Post Adjutant.
How to Transfer your Membership
If you'd like to apply for a transfer to our Post, please contact our Post Adjutant.